I am very particular about my Chinese food. I was spoiled. My first job was at the world’s best family owned and operated restaurant, Oriental Express. I walked in shortly after turning 15 and filled out an application. Lim looked at it then said to me in her no-nonsense way – you start tomorrow.
I began as a dishwasher and eventually ended up waitressing. Waitressing was a scary prospect for me, I’m so clumsy 😂. Thankfully, there were very little accidents. Honestly, I worked hard and was paid horribly. Which I suppose is just the way it goes for most of us in the beginning.
I hated the job but the food … omg, it was to die for and I never went hungry while employed with them. I cannot tolerate fast food joints and what’s with the buffets mostly serving sweet crab rangoon’s? Bleck! Sadly, it is no longer around so I can’t get takeout. Thankfully though, I learned a few tricks while I was with the Oriental Express.
The photo is my daughters, she asked me for the recipe recently and she even went with the fancy wrapping which I gave up doing a long time ago. If you want to taste something amazing (especially if you’re used to the variety served at a buffet), these are super simple to make! They can be made in a deep fryer, but I usually cook them in a sauce pan.
World’s Best Crab Rangoon’s
- 6oz Crabmeat, flaked
- Green Onion or Chives (I prefer fresh chives but green onions are good)
- 2 packages of Cream Cheese, softened
- Mozzarella Cheese, I do about 1/2 cup but you can add what you prefer
- Wonton Wrappers, these are square and can be found generally with in the fresh veggies area
- Sunflower Oil for deep frying (or vegetable oil)
- Mix the ingredients.
- Spread out wonton wrappers, put a spoonful of mix in the center and wrap. (Follow the package details.)
- Heat the oil for deep frying.
- Fry in small batches for 2 to 3 minutes. They will bob up to the surface when finished, just look for the light golden color before taking them out.
Easy peasy and so yummy!
Da’Nela, an American Misfit, [she/her/hers/trying to be humanish, maybe]
Disclaimer | Send some Love or Hate Mail – I welcome both 😎